Harry Maguire, the defender of Manchester United has been found guilty of assault after a brawl last week on the Greek island of Mykonos. The 27-year-old had been arrested in Mykonos on Thursday, August 25, 2020.
For his act, he got a 21-month suspended sentence. And two other defendants were also found guilty on similar charges and handed 13-month sentences.
As quoted News24xx.com from TOI, the sentences for all three defendants were suspended for three years.
Maguire was found guilty of attempted bribery, violence against public employees, and also insulting.
But, Maguire would appeal against the judgement. And after England manager, Gareth Southgate announced the verdict, Maguire was withdrawn from the England squad for the matches against Iceland and Denmark.
According to Yannis Paradeisis told The Associated Press news agency that he was disappointed by Maguire’s behaviour. “As we know, he is a role model for young people and a sportsman. But, that is not the way to behave,” he said.
Paradeisis is a lawyer assisting with the prosecution and representing four police officers who were allegedly assaulted.